1984 War Quotes

RELATED QUOTES

...the object of waging a war is always to be in a better position in which to wage another war. George Orwell

Records told the same tale, then the lie passed into history and became truth. George Orwell

War is peace. Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength. George Orwell

The connection between dress and war is not far to seek; your finest clothes are those you wear as soldiers. Virginia Woolf

For what can war, but endless war, still breed? John Milton

Sir, if you ever presume again to speak disrespectfully of General Grant in my presence, either you or I will sever his connection with this university. Robert E Lee

Most American fascists are enthusiastically supporting the war effort. They are doing this even in those cases where they hope to have profitable connections with German chemical firms after the war ends. Henry A Wallace

From where Winston stood it was just possible to read, picked out on its white face in elegant lettering, the three slogans of the Party: WAR IS PEACE FREEDOM IS SLAVERY IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH. George Orwell

When you boil war down or all conflict down to two people, its a great advert for humanity sometimes. People can find connections with each other, regardless of the bigger picture. John Bradley-West

I had a visceral connection to the period [of Korean War]. By visceral I suppose I mean emotional. But every fiction requires so much that is not that so I did a lot of other research and a lot of thinking, a lot of struggling there. Chang-Rae Lee

"Red Dawn" was a movie made in 1984 I think about World War III. If you have not seen it and plan on watching it, you want to close your eye and cover your ears but not really. You can figure it out. Rachel Maddow

If you look at the First World War, the Kaiser was actually, actively buying a lot of the armaments from Britain! in the years, in the run-up to the First World War. And I mean, there was a connection there. He was, indeed, Queen Victoria's grandson. You know, they were all related, all these royal families. Jacqueline Winspear

Political movements and mega sporting events have always gone hand in hand. In 1980, there were Cold War boycotts in Moscow and again in 1984 during Los Angeles Games. Eduardo Paes

Today the real test of power is not capacity to make war but capacity to prevent it. Anne O'Hare McCormick

War is only a cowardly escape from the problems of peace. Thomas Mann

A holy war is a contradiction in terms. War dehumanizes, war diminishes, war debases all those who wage it. Elie Wiesel

War's a game, which, were their subjects wise, Kings would not play at. William Cowper

All the gods are dead except the god of war. Eldridge Cleaver

You know, I'm pro-troops, but I'm not pro-war. Toby Keith

And in the general hardening of outlook that set in ... practices which had been long abandoned ... - imprisonment without trial, the use of war prisoners as slaves, public executions, torture to extract confessions, the use of hostages and the deportation of whole populations - not only became common again, but were tolerated and even defended by people who considered themselves enlightened and progressive. George Orwell

| NEXT PAGE >